May 2, 2018
Faculty Senate Minutes
May 2, 2018 (Tentative)
Chair, Kevin Hall
Secretary, Linda Jones
Attendance (A-absent; otherwise, present)
Faculty Senate Officers and Senators
|OFFICERS|| Kevin Hall
| Fran Hagstrom
|Robert Brady||Linda Jones||A-John Pijanowski|
|COLLEGE OR SCHOOL|
|School of Architecture||A-Frank Jacobus|
|School of Law||A-Uche Ewelukwa Ofodile|
|Walton College||Rajiv Sabherwal||John Delery||Vern Richardson||Jennifer Kish-Gephart|
|College of Engineering||Paneer Selvam||A-Manuel Rossetti||Justin Chimka||Kevin Hall|
|Bumpers College||Ioannis E. Tzanetakis||Kate Shoulders||Bruce Ahrendsen||Navam Hettiarachchy||A-Don Edgar|
|College of EDHP||Chris Goering||A-Kaitlin Gallagher||Kristin Higgins||Stephanie Lusk||Lisa Bowers|
|Fulbright College|| Anna Zajicek
| James Gigantino
| Weston Wilkerson
| A-Suresh Kumar Thallapuranam
| A-Matt McIntosh
|At-Large Members|| Cheryl Murphy
| Kelly Hammond
| David Gay
| Norm Dennis
| Timothy Kral
|Non-Voting Senators in Administration|
A-Kathy Van Laningham
| Jim Coleman
A-Melissa Harwood Rom
| Ro DiBrezzo
| Terry Martin
| Suzanne McCray
A-Carolyn Henderson Allen
I. Call to Order: Chair, Kevin Hall
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Approval of Minutes of April 11, 2018
V. Report - Part A
Provost, Jim Coleman
- Vice Provost for Research and Innovation is moving forward
- Vice Provost for Planning is now open for applicants
- Thank you to the Faculty Senate EC and the Senate as a whole, thank you.
VII. Old Business
A. General Education/Common Core – David Joliffe, Laurence Hare, Jeannine Durdik
Various comments from the floor
- Thank you to the committee that served and to all that have provided feedback.
- Approval of new courses will need to indicate the learning indicators.
- We have to have this core in some form; must have it for accreditation.
- Individual student accountability/advisor accountability - supported via a matrix of courses coordinated with learning indicators.
- Two years to implement the program - fall 2020.
- Will examine what courses meet the core over the next two years.
- Assessment needs to be a part of this.
- Faculty buy in is crucial! Need some reassurances about tracking the learning outcomes; how will this be tracked?
The committee welcomes feedback on how to proceed over the course of the next two years.
Motion to send it back to committee with a request to return to the Senate with an implementation plan.
Nos - 21
Yes - 12
Motion to accept the outcome system as presented in the document above.
Nos - 10
Yes - 26
B. Teaching Council revision to Academic Policy 1405.15 – Jim Gigantino
Motion to send back to committee for reconsideration to ensure it is in align with newly adopted Board policy.
C. Committee on Committees – Inactive committees – Tahar Messadi
Motion to eliminate two committees (Classrooms, Technology, and Academic Design; Continuing Education)
Computing Activities Committee - has five sub-committees. There are faculty reps on each one.
Argument to keep the Classrooms, Technology committee - an Academic committee eliminated for an administrative committee, not favorable.
Motion to eliminate both committees passed.
D. Non-Tenure Track Revision to Academic Policy 1405.12 - John Delery
Motion to submit this document to the APT committee for review and return to the Faculty Senate in the new academic year.
Yes - 18
No - 15
VIII. New Business
Consent Agenda: The following items are referred by the University Course and Programs Committee and/or the Graduate Council for review and action by the Faculty Senate at its meeting scheduled May 2, 2018:
1. Course Change proposals – including undergraduate and graduate classes approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on April 20, 2018, and the Graduate Council on April 19, 2018: (pdf report).
2. Undergraduate Program Change Proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on April 20, 2018: (pdf_report).
a. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness – AGBS-M – Agricultural Business Minor (2a_agbs-m_report05022018.pdf, 2a_agbs-m_distoffer_ltrofnotif_05022018.docx, 2a_agbs-m_syllabi.pdf).
b. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, Department of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures – AMFREN – Additional Major-French (2b_amfren_report05022018.pdf), 2b_amfren_addmaj_ltrofnotif05022018.docx.).
c. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, Department of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures – AMSPAN – Additional Major-Spanish (2c_amspan_report05022018, 2c_amspan_ltrofnotif05022018.docx).
d. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Walton College of Business, Department of Supply Chain Management – SCMTBS – Supply Chain Management, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (2d_scmtbs_report05022018.pdf, 2d_scmtbs_distoffer_ltrofnotif05022018.docx, 2d_scmtbs_syllabi05022018.pdf).
e. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Walton College of Business, Department of Supply Chain Management –SCMT-M – Supply Chain Management Minor for Non-Business Students (2e_scmt-m_report05022018.pdf, 2e_scmt-m_distoffer_ltrofnotif05022018.docx, 2e_scmt-m_syllabi05022018.pdf).
f. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Walton College of Business, Department of Supply chain Management – WSCM-M – Supply Chain Management Minor for Business Majors (2f_wscm-m_report05022018.pdf, 2f_wscm-m_distoffer_ltrofnotif05022018.docx, 2f_wscm-m_syllabi05022018.pdf).
3. Graduate Program Change Proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on April 20, 2018 and the Graduate Council on April 19, 2018:
a. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation – KINSMS-ADMS – Kinesiology: Adapted Movement Science Concentration (3a_kinsms-adms_report05022018.pdf).
b. Proposed graduate program change for the Eleanor Mann School of Nursing – NURSDP-CNST – Nursing: Adult-Geriatric Clinical Nurse Specialist Concentration (3b_nursdp-cnst_report05022018, 3b_nursdp-cnst_deletion_ltrofnotif05022018).
4. Additional items/Announcements:
a. Establishment of the Department of Occupational Therapy as a new administrative unit in the College of Education and Health Professions (4a_otd_new_admin_unit_ltrofnotif, 4a_otd_new_admin_unit_correspondence.pdf).
b. Revised Math IB test credit - MATH 1284C, MATH 2554 5 HL MATH 1284C, MATH 2554H 6,7 HL This change standardizes the "Up to 8 hours possible (To be determined by the Math Department)" as currently listed. http://catalog.uark.edu/undergraduatecatalog/academicregulations/advancedstandingprograms/#internationalbaccalaureatetext
Consent Agenda Passed Fully and Completely!
IX. Report - Part B
Senate Chair, Kevin Hall
- Recognized the Executive Committee
- Lots of great work this semester! Thank you all!
- Recognized Jim Gigantino's work with the Teaching Council
- John Delery's work, excellent
- Introduced the New Chair - Kathleen Lehman!
- Have a great summer!!
Meeting adjourned at 5:18.