September 13, 2017
Faculty Senate Minutes
September 13, 2017 (Approved)
Chair, Kevin Hall
Secretary, Linda Jones
Attendance ( A-absent; otherwise, present)
Faculty Senate Officers and Senators
|OFFICERS|| Kevin Hall
| Fran Hagstrom
|Robert Brady||Linda Jones||John Pijanowski (A)|
|COLLEGE OR SCHOOL|
|School of Architecture||Frank Jacobus|
|School of Law||Uche Ewelukwa Ofodile|
|Library||Stephanie Pierce (A)|
|Walton College||Rajiv Sabherwal (A)||TBD (A)||TBD (A)||TBD (A)|
|College of Engineering||Paneer Selvam||Manuel Rossetti||Justin Chimka||Kevin Hall|
|Bumpers College||Ioannis E. Tzanetakis||Kate Shoulders||Bruce Ahrendsen||Navam Hettiarachchy||Don Edgar|
|College of EDHP||Chris Goering||Kaitlin Gallagher||Kristin Higgins||Stephanie Lusk (A)||Lisa Bowers|
|Fulbright College|| Anna Zajicek
Myria Allen (A)
| James Gigantino
Fred Spiegel (A)
Ravi Barabote (A)
Calvin White (A)
| Weston Wilkerson
Shauna Morimoto (A)
Dennis Brewer (A)
Denise Beike (A)
| Suresh Kumar Thallapuranam
| Matt McIntosh (A)
|At-Large Members|| Cheryl Murphy
| Kelly Hammond
Karen Sebold (A)
| David Gay
Michelle Gray (A)
| Norm Dennis
| Timothy Kral
|Non-Voting Senators in Administration|
|Joe Steinmetz (A)
Kathy Van Laningham
Kim Needy (A)
Lynda Coon (A)
| Jim Coleman
Matthew Waller (A)
Melissa Harwood Rom (A)
| Ro DiBrezzo (A)
Charles Robinson (A)
| Jim Rankin (A)
John English (A)
| Suzanne McCray (A)
Todd Shields (A)
Carolyn Henderson Allen (A)
I. Call to Order - Kevin Hall
The meeting was called to order at 3:30 p.m.
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Agenda
A. Provost - Jim Coleman
The Provost reported on the following:
- Happy to answer questions with regards new assignments and the Gen Ed committee
- Excited that Yvette Murphy has accepted the Diversity position.
- Guiding priorities on the website.
- Chancellor's State of the Union tomorrow.
- Pleased to have been able to offer faculty salary raises this past summer.
- Moving more of the budget into advancing student success
- Hope to announce the 10 proposal winners within the week.
- Hope to announce the next round of call for proposals by the end of the Fall semester
- 17 faculty members served
- 75 proposals received - reviewed in subsets with written reviews provided for each
- Review sheets will be provided
- Want to be transparent with feedback
- The 10 selected represent 23 or 24 departments across campus.
- Challenging but fair process.
- There will be investment in faculty salaries this year. It remains an action item for this year.
Terry Martin discussed the Gen Ed program
- A committee looking into Gen Ed
- Committee putting together goals and learning outcomes for Gen Ed
- Representation from every college on the committee
- They will send their results back out to the college to see if further changes need to occur
- Eventually will come to the Faculty Senate for approval
B. Parking - Gary Smith
- Parking is an auxiliary to the university; no funds for parking come from the university
- Whoosh! - an online payment system to pay for a guest parking meters
- License Plate Recognition - hope to have this in place soon; still testing
C. Faculty Senate Chair - Kevin Hall
The Chair reported on the following:
- Thank you to all of the Senators
- Thank you to Linda Jones and the website updates
- Thank you to the Committee on Committees and the hard work in to fill our committees
- Going to work on our governance documents this year; committee structures, elections, teaching, P&T and so on.
United Way Campus Committee - Stacy Leeds
- 83rd United Way Campaign
- Formal kickoff, a week from this Monday, 3 pm in the Union Connections Lounge
- October 2 - October 27 .
- Asking students to engage in this process by donating $1. Vinmo will be an option.
- $160,000 campaign goal
- Focusing on childhood poverty in Northwest Arkansas
- 38 agencies can be donated to specifically if you would like to do this. Must donate a minimum of $100.
- If a 501C3 agency in NW Arkansas is your choice for support and it is not a United Way organization, you can still choose them. Also $100.
VII. Old Business
VIII. New Business
A. Consent Agenda: The following items are referred by the University Course and Programs Committee and/or the Graduate Council for review and action by the Faculty Senate at its meeting scheduled September 13, 2017:
1. Course Change proposals – including graduate classes approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 4, 2017 as well as undergraduate and law classes on August 4, 2017 and the Graduate Council on August 17, 2017: (PDF Report).
2. Undergraduate Program Change Proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 4, 2017: (PDF Report).
a. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness – AGBSBS –Agricultural Business, Bachelor of Science in Agri Food & Life Sciences (2a_AGBSBS Report).
b. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness – AGBSBS-ABMM, Agricultural Business Agri Management & Marketing Concentration (2b_AGBSBS-ABMM Report).
c. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences, Department of Food Science – FDSC-M – Food Science Minor (2c_FDSC-M Report).
d. Item d pulled at the request of the University Course and Programs committee.
e. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, Department of English – ENGLBA-CRWR – English/Creative Writing Concentration (2e_ENGLBA-CRWR Report).
f. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Walton College of Business, Department of Economics – INTBBB – International Business, Bachelor of Science in International Business (2f_INTBBB Report).
g. Proposed undergraduate program change for the College of Engineering, Department of Engineering Dean – ENGR Acad Regs – ENGR College Academic Regulations (2g_ENGR Acad Regs Report).
3. Graduate program change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 4, 2017 and the Graduate Council August 17, 2017:
a. Proposed graduate program change for the School of Architecture and Design Dean – DSGNMDS - Design Studies, Master of Design Studies (3a_DSGNMDS Report, 3a_DSGNMDS – New Degree – Appendices.pdf, 3a_DESGNMDS-New Degree – Ltr of intent.docx, 3a_DSGNMDS – New Degree – Proposal_1_Form.docx).
c. Proposed graduate program change for the Eleanor Mann School of Nursing – NURSMS-NUED – Nursing Nurse Educator Concentration (3c_NURSMS-NUED Report).
d. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation – HSESPH-HLBV – Health, Sport & Exercise Science Health Behavior Concentration (3d_HSESPH-HLBV Report).
e. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Industrial Engineering – OPMGMS – Operations Management, Master of Science in Operations Management (3e_OPMGMS Report).
f. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Physics – PHYSPH – Physics Doctor of Philosophy (3f_PHYSPH Report, 3f_PHYSPH – Employer Needs Surveys.pdf, 3f_PHYSPH-SPAC – Deletion – Ltr of Notification.docx, 3f_PHYSPH – Reconfig – Ltr of Notification.docx).
4. Informational items –
a. Graduate Council - Changes in policy for Graduate Certificates.
At its May 18, 2017, meeting, the Graduate Council approved removing the line:
"Students who enter a graduate certificate program may use up to six hours of course work taken previously at the University of Arkansas." The Council believes that graduate students should be able to apply any qualifying courses taken at the U of A toward the requirements of the graduate certificate, if the certificate advisory committee approves. For additional details, please review the attached report. (4a_Graduate Certificates report).
b. UTCHCS – Licensure for UA Teach Computer Science 4-12 (4b_UTCHCS – New Licensure – Ltr of Intent E, 4b_UTCHCS – New Licensure – Ltr of Notification E, 4b_UTCHCS – New Licensure – Program Proposal.docx).
All Consent Agenda Items Approved
B. Senate Elections (Executive Committee and Campus Council)
Executive Committee Election Results: Jim Gigantino, Tim Kral, Neil Allison, Cheryl Murphy, Don Johnson
Meeting adjourned at 4:30.