Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
David Gay, Chair
Officers: Gay, Freund, L. Jones, Brady, Kral
Senators (elected): (ARCH); (ALFS) Rom, Savin; (ARSC) Kral, Comfort, Harrington, Parry, Landman, Christiansen, Shobe, Grob-Fitzgibbon, Arenberg, Rhoads, Van Brahana, Stites; (WCOB) Bouwman, Ellstrand, Myers; (EDHP) Murphy, Orr, Deggs, Smith-Nix; (ENGR) Deaton, Beitle, Rossetti; (LAW) Brummer; (LIBR) Lehman; (At-Large) Johnson, Fort, Parker Gibson, Rupe, Dennis, Jensen, Jones, Martin, Allison, Salisbury.
Senators (admin): Smith, J. Rankin, Shields, Leeds, Henderson Allen, Lewis.
Absent: C. Jones
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (AFLS) Burgos, Ahrendsen, Costello; (ARSC) Freund, Nolan; (WCOB); (EDHP); (ENGR) Hall; (LAW); (LIBR); (At-Large) Whayne, Margulis.
Senators (admin): Gearhart, Gaber, Vayda, Shannon, Roberts, Worrell, P. Rankin, Saxena, McMath.
I. Call to Order: David Gay, Chair
The meeting was called to order at 3:30.
II. Roll Call
Roll was called.
III. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved to be organized at the pleasure of the Chair.
IV. Approval of minutes from May 11, 2011.
The minutes were approved.
A. Provost Sharon Gaber - Interim Vice Provost Ro DiBrezzo presented the Provost's report today. VP DiBrezzo reported on the following:
- A search committee is now in place for the new Dean of the Walton College of Business. Dean Saxena is serving as Chair of this committee.
- Dean Henderson Allen is under review this year as a part of the five year Dean evaluation process.
- Online evaluations will continue this fall. Modifications have been made based on feedback including reminding students less frequently to complete the evaluations. Feedback will be available 72 hours after the last final exam is administered. Close examination of the system will continue.
- ATP Committee is examining the guidelines for University and Distinguished Professor promotions. The committee will also examine guidelines for research positions.
- The UA is looking more closely at the consensual relationship policy this year.
- A site license for Echo360 is on the horizon.
- As we near the 25,000 student mark, we are preparing to pause and take an inventory so as to create a comprehensive plan for the future. An online survey will soon be available for the UA community to complete in preparation of this plan.
B. Jeff Long, Athletic Director- Annual Report: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205240148
- Focus of the athletic program has moved from eligibility to graduation.
- The athletic program has an overall GAP of 3.04. 54% of student athletes were on the Spring Academic Honor Role while 54 student athletes graduated this spring. 18 of the 19 athletic programs are doing very well. The goal now is to make it 19 out of 19!!
- The UA Athletic Department is 1 of only 22 programs in the nation that is self sustaining. The department has transferred as much as 1.9 million to the U of A and this does not include books and tuition for student athletes.
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business
a. Elections (Campus Council, Executive Committee)
The following were elected to the Executive Committee:Janine Parry, Cheryl Murphy, Tom Jensen, Inza Fort, Joel Freund.
The following were elected to the Campus Council: Janine Parry, Luti Salisbury, Terry Martin, Tim Kral, Inza Fort, Norm Dennis, Curt Rom, Joel Freund, Betsy Orr, Doug Rhoads, Mary Savin, Jeannie Whayne, Don Johnson, Wesley Stites, Angie Smith-Nix, Chauncey Brummer.
Members of the "teller committee" included Linda Jones, Hope Christiansen, Michael Landman, Necia Paker-Gibson and Curt Rom.
Gay asked for interested persons wanting to be considered for Vice Chair of the Faculty Senate in elections at our next meeting to please contact him. For additional details about the duties please also visit with our former Vice Chairs – Joel Freund, Tom Jensen, John Rupe or Luti Salisbury.
b. Honorary Degrees
The Senate moved into Excecutive Session to consider Honorary Degrees as presented by Steve Sheppard.