Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
David Gay, Chair
Officers: Gay, L. Jones, Kral, Brady, Martin, C. Jones
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (ALFS) Rom, Burgos, Ahrendsen, Costello; (ARSC) Kral, Freund, Comfort, Harrington, Parry, Landman, Christiansen, Shobe, Arenberg, Stites, Rhoads; (WCOB) Bouwman, Ellstrand; (EDHP) Murphy, Smith-Nix; (ENGR) Hall, Beitle; (LAW) Brummer; (LIBR) Lehman; (At-Large) Johnson, Fort, Dennis, Parker Gibson, Rupe, Jensen, Jones, Martin, Allison.
Senators (admin): Gaber, Shields, Lewis.
Senators (elected): (ARCH); (AFLS) Savin; (ARSC) Grob-Fitzgibbon, Nolan, Brahana; (WCOB) Myers; (EDHP)Orr, Deggs; (ENGR) Deaton; (LAW); (LIBR); (At-Large) Whayne, Salisbury, Margulis.
Senators (admin): Gearhart, Vayda, Shannon, Roberts, Worrell, P. Rankin, Smith, Saxena, J. Rankin, Leeds, Smith, Henderson Allen, McMath.
I. Call to Order: David Gay, Chair
The meeting was called to order at 3:30.
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Approval of minutes from February 8, 2012
A. Provost Sharon Gaber
The Provost reported on the following:
- Eli Jones, from LSU, will be the new Dean of the Walton College of Business.
- Terry Martin is serving as Interim Dean of Engineering. A search will soon be underway.
- Xavier Reyes has been named Vice Provost of Distance Education
- The UA has recently put out guidelines for the protection of minors. In the event of abuse towards a minor, we are to call the Child Abuse Hotline first, then call UAPD. We are mandated reporters. With this, all individuals who come into contact with children at the U of A will have to have a background check.
B. Fringe Benefits Committee, Janine Parry
C. Michael Dodd, ASG President
The ASG President reported on the following:
- Mike thanked the faculty for the time they spend with students.
- An initiative is underway to have scantrons distributed on campus through faculty rather than through purchasing on their own. It is believed that this will help with Academic Integrity and will also help students spend more time preparing for the content of exams rather than the mechanics. They are working with the bookstore to distribute the scantrons to an Administrative Assistant within departments who then can distribute to appropriate faculty. Bids are going out to find the most cost-effect scantron source.
- A resolution is being prepared to find the most cost-effective textbook solution. This includes allowing students to have input in the selection process, recommendations as to how to improve the selection process, and the use of online textbooks.
E. David Gay, FS Chair
The Chair of the Faculty Senate reported on the following:
- Please consider putting your name forward for the Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee.
- Consider also serving as Chair of the Campus Faculty and Faculty Senate; elections begin soon.
VI. Old Business
A. APT Committee, Norm Dennis
Nominations and Guidelines for University and Distinguished Professorships; Powerpoint Presentation from February meeting.
Two amendments were made:
1) Motion to Amend Substantive Criteria - University Professorship
- Recognition at national and/or international
- Recognized nationally and/or internationally
- endeavors of similar merit in other venues.
2) Motion to add "tenured" to all professors.
Motion in favor of accepting with document with two amendments passed.
VII. New Business
A. Calendar Committee (15 minutes between classes), Marie Gentry
The Calendar committee put forward a motion, with a second from the committee, that proposes to change the course scheduling beginning Fall 2013. This motion will be voted on in our April meeting.
B. Academic Conduct and Behavior Committee, Paul Cronan
Presentation, Sanction Rubric, Policy
C. Faculty Senate Executive Committee - Code of Student Life Revisions, Monica Holland
D. The following items are referred by the University Course and Programs Committee and/or the Graduate Council for review and action by the Faculty Senate at its meeting scheduled for March 14, 2012:
1. Course Change Proposals:
A. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on February 24, 2012: Table A
B. Graduate and Dual credit course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on January 27, 2012 and the Graduate Council on February 16, 2012: Table B and Table C
2. Combined Undergraduate and Graduate Program Change Proposal:
A. Proposed undergraduate and graduate program change for the Colleges of Bumpers College of Agriculture, Food and Life Sciences, Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and Health Professions and Graduate School - All Teacher Education Programs (Table One, Attachment 1A).
3. Graduate Program Change Proposals:
A. Proposed graduate program change for the Eleanor Mann School of Nursing – NURSMS – MSN, Masters of Science in Nursing (Table Two, Attachment 2A).
B. Proposed graduate program change for the Eleanor Mann School of Nursing – NURSMS – MSN, Masters of Science in Nursing – Nurse Educator Concentration (Table Two, Attachment 2B).
All items in section D approved as presented.
E. Executive Session- Honorary Degrees Committee (Posthumous Degrees), Steve Sheppard
All posthumous degrees approved.
President Bobbitt will speak to the Campus Faculty on March 28, 3:30, Giffels Auditorium
Reminder that Spring Break is not for faculty; vacation time must be taken if not working.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:20.