Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
David Gay, Chair
Officers: Gay, L. Jones, Kral, Brady, Martin, C. Jones
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (ALFS) Rom, Savin, Costello; (ARSC) Kral, Freund, Comfort, Harrington, Parry, Landman, Christiansen, Shobe, Grob-Fitzgibbon, Arenberg, Stites, Rhoads, Brahana; (WCOB) Ellstrand, Meyers; (EDHP) Murphy, Orr; (ENGR) Hall, Deaton; (LAW) Brummer; (LIBR) Lehman; (At-Large) Dennis, Fort, Parker Gibson, Rupe, Jensen, Jones, Martin, Allison, Salisbury.
Senators (admin): Gaber, J. Rankin, Shields, Lewis, Henderson Allen.
Senators (elected): (ARCH); (AFLS) Burgos, Ahrendsen; (ARSC) Nolan; (WCOB) Bouwman; (EDHP) Smith-Nix, Deggs; (ENGR) Beitle, Rossetti; (LAW); (LIBR); (At-Large) Johnson, Whayne, Margulis.
Senators (admin): Gearhart, Vayda, Shannon, Roberts, Worrell, P. Rankin, Saxena, Leeds, Smith, McMath.
I. Call to Order: David Gay, Chair
The meeting was called to order at 3:35.
II. Roll Call
Roll was called.
III. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved.
IV. Approval of minutes from January 25, 2012.
The minutes of January 25, 2012 were approved.
A. Provost, Sharon Gaber
The Provost reported on the following:
- This Spring, enrollment stands at 22,077 - 95.2% of our Fall total;
- A recently arranged civility workshop was cancelled; looking for a replacement to offer a workshop by the end of the semester;
- ADHE Guidelines - We intend to be in compliance with Act 747 by 2014;
- Ro DiBrezzo will head a committee to examine FYE on campus. Please provide her with input;
- Academic Integrity Policy - Additional information coming forward;
- Mobile Teacher Evaluations will be made available very soon;
- WCOB Dean's Search - three candidates have visited campus and one more will be on campus soon;
B. APT Committee, Norm Dennis
Nominations and Guidelines for University and Distinguished Professorships
B. Athletics Academic Report, John Fagg
- The Athletics Program is shifting its focus from eligibility to graduation.
- Athletics now employs 9 Academic Counselors and 2 education specialists along with 10 graduate assistants to help athletes perform well in the classroom and subsequently graduate.
- There is now a full-time Career Development Officer in place.
- Athletes are also engaged in a "Personal Best Concept". Athletics works to recognize student athletes as they reach each of their personal bests in terms of GPA at the U of A.
- See the attached report for more information.
C. Faculty Senate Chair's Report, David Gay
- Heavier business meetings on the horizon including an update on Academic Integrity in March.
- Campus-wide elections are coming soon.
- Please consider participation in campus shared governance. Elections for Chair and Vice Chair of Campus Faculty/Faculty Senate take place this semester.
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business
A. The following items are referred by the University Course and Programs Committee and/or the Graduate Council for review and action by the Faculty Senate at its meeting scheduled for February 8, 2012 (Tables Key):
- Course Change Proposals:
a. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on January 27, 2012: Table A
b. Graduate and Dual credit course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 16, 2011 and the Graduate Council on January 19, 2012: Table B and Table C.
- Undergraduate Program Change Proposals:
a. Proposed undergraduate program change for the College of Engineering, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, – BENGBS – BSBE, Biological Engineering (Table One, Attachments 1A and 1A-1).
b. Proposed undergraduate program change for the College of Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, – CHEGBS – BSChE, Chemical Engineering (Table One, Attachment 1B).
c. Proposed undergraduate program change for the College of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, – CVEGBS – BSCE, Civil Engineering (Table One, Attachment 1C).
- Graduate Program Change Proposals:
a. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Curriculum and Instruction – EDPSMC – PMC, Graduate Certificate in Educational Psychology (Table Two, Attachments 2A and 2A-1).
b. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Information Systems – ISESGC – GC, Graduate Certificate in Enterprise Systems (Table Two, Attachments 2B and 2B-1).
c. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Business Administration – BADMPH – PHD, Business Administration, Accounting Concentration (Table Two, Attachment 2C).
d. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Business Administration – BADMMB – MBA, Business Administration, Panama Program (Table Two, Attachments 2D, 2D-1 and 2D-2).
All items of the consent agenda were approved unanimously.
March 28, Giffels Auditorium, 3:30 p.m., University of Arkansas System President Don Bobbitt will speak to the Campus Faculty.
The meeting adjourned at 4:15.