Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Neil Allison, Chair
Officers: Allison, Rupe, Jones, Brady, DiBrezzo, Freund
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (ALFS) Karcher, Miller, Rom, Ahrendsen, Savin; (ARSC) Behrend, Comfort, Turner, Parry, Landman, Scheide, Grob-Fitzgibbon, Freund, Brady, Kral, Rhoads, Van Brahana; (WCOB); (EDHP) Stegman, Dibrezzo, Smith-Nix; (ENGR) Hall; (LAW) Brummer; (LIBR) Kirkwood; (At-Large) Curington, Fort, Whayne, Gay, Murphy, Riggs, Johnson, Billings, Salisbury, Martin, Jensen.
Senators (admin): Gaber, Henderson Allen, McMath, Lewis.
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (AFLS) Milus; (ARSC) Shobe; (WCOB) Bouwman, Ellstrand, Hardgrave; (EDHP) Kissinger; (ENGR) Gordon, Heymsfield; (LIBR); (At-Large) Allen, Turner.
Senators (admin): Gearhart, Verma, Shannon, Schwab, Worrell, Beene Ballard, Smith, Saxena, Geren, Nance.
I. Call to Order: Neil Allison, Chair
Meeting was called to order at 3:30
II. Roll Call
Roll was called
III. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved.
IV. Approval of minutes from September 9, 2009.
September 9, 2009
The minutes were approved.
A. Provost Sharon Gaber - The Provost reported on the following:
- Our budget does not look good; if it does not pick up somehow, we may have to give 3.5 million back to the state.
- Still optimistic about hiring new faculty, one million dollars would allow for 12 faculty; a significant investment.
- Hoping for merit raises and should have some indication as to whether or not this is possible this month.
- Aware of the need for more faculty and for responsible growth.
- Continuing to examine student course evaluations.
- Developed a task force to study how to improve six year graduation rate; considering also an on-line audit check list for students.
- Searches continue for Dean of Education and Health Professions; healthy pool to select from. We are to encourage individuals to apply for the Dean of the Bumpers College of Agriculture, Food and Life Sciences so as to have a robust pool to select from. The search for the new Dean of the Graduate School and International Education is also underway; please get the word out!
- Need to work on guidelines for acceptance of students/courses at the AA and AS levels, Act 182 and viability.
- COACHE survey based at Harvard. Our first time to participate is this year. Letters are going out to pre-tenured faculty. This survey will tell us where we can make improvements in the pre-tenure process.
B. Senate Chair, Neil Allison - The chair reported on the following:
- The Chair of the Faculty Senate and the Chair of the Faculty attended the Executive Committee Retreat at Winrock in mid September
- Traveled to Lexington, KY for an SEC Faculty Leadership meeting - SECAC. Will meet at LSU in the spring; Fall 2010, we will host the SECAC meeting. Learned at this meeting that only Arkansas remained in the black; all other SEC schools have had to cut teaching positions. South Carolina faced a 25% cut.
- Working with the Center for Educational Access to discuss ways to help students who need additional time to take exams beyond the regular class period.
- COIA - tom Jensen has been the representative for the U of A. We need a new representative and welcome nominations.
- If you have any questions with regards campus facilities, please contact Mike Johnson, email@example.com or visit the web site: fama.uark.edu
VI. Old Business
HNED 4913H, Politics and Literature, Tabled September 9, 2009
Motion made to vote against this course; motion passed.
VII. New Business
A. Consent Agenda
1. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on September 25, 2009: Table A.
2. Graduate and Dual credit course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 28, 2009 and the Graduate Council on September 17, 2009: Table B and Table C.
3. There are no program change proposals being forwarded for consideration.
Motion to accept Consent Agenda passed.
Light-Rail Systems Lecture - 282 Bell Engineering, 6 p.m., October 20th.
Honorary Degree Nominations due October 31; please contact Curt Rom.
Campus Faculty Meeting, November 3, 3:30 p.m., Giffels Auditorium.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:15.