Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Inza Fort, Chair
Officers: Fort, Freund, Jones, Brady, Allison, Rupe
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (ALFS) Miller; (ARSC) Turner, DeCoster, Yang, Spiegel, Freund, Brady, Kral, Rhoads; (WCOB) Bouwman, Ellstrand; (EDHP) Di Brezzo, Hagstrom; (ENGR) Deaton, Heymsfield, Hall; (LAW) Killenbeck; (LIBR) Zou; (At-Large) Curington, Goodstein, James, Gay, Murphy, Riggs, Turner, Martin, T. Jensen.
Senators (admin): Gearhart, Schwab, Greenwood, Saxena, Geren, Nancy, Lewis.
Senators (elected): (ARCH); (AFLS) Evans, Rosenkrans; (ARSC) Behrend, Comfort, Parry, Scheide, Van Brahana; (WCOB) Hardgrave; (EDHP); Smith, Stegman; (ENGR); (LIBR); (At-Large) M. Jensen, Robinson, Starks, Salisbury.
Senators (admin): McMath, Verma, Shannon, Worrell, Beene Ballard, Henderson Allen, McCray.
I. Call to Order: Inza Fort, Chair
The meeting was called to order at 3:31.
II. Roll Call
The roll was called.
III. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved.
IV. Approval of minutes from September 17, 2008.
Minutes of September 17, 2008
The minutes were approved.
A. Chancellor's Report - Chancellor Gearhart reported the following:
- Retreat in September with Deans, Faculty, Administration; trying to address challenges we face; plans to host a follow-up retreat in December.
- Major issue - funding and finances. Will allow Don Pederson to talk more about the budget when he addresses the Senate later this year. In the mean time, we need to build up our reserves. Had hoped to get additional funds from state but recent economic down-turn caused Governor to call off this action for the time being.
- Cost Cutting - No reallocation of dollars this year. Does not anticipate having to do this unless the bottom falls out of the economy. Saving procedures are important; trying to get rid of duplication. We also need to get to 22,000 students as quickly as possible but also realizes more teachers are needed.
- Faculty salaries continue to be problematic but also staff wages are problematic; some 400 staff salaries are below the poverty line.
- Global Campus - Located at the World Trade Center complex; signage is soon to be posted at the facility. This is an opportunity to move our courses further north towards Rogers and Bentonville.
- We must increase the presence of the UA across the state. We want to market the UA in a better way; tell the UA story in a better way.
- Moving toward curriculum review in ARSC. David Jolliffe, English Department, is the Chair.
- Diversity also continues to be top priority on campus.
- We decided NOT to purse the purchase of Fayetteville High School. Instead, we will request to phase in a fee to fund some critical renovation work that is needed throughout our campus.
- Searches are in varying stages for several positions on campus. A slate of final candidates for Provost will soon be announced. Once the new Provost is in place, the search for Deans of Bumpers College, the College of Education, Student Affairs and Fulbright College will be fully underway.
- The Chancellor is planning a committee to beautify campus; to purchase art, sculptures and so on.
B. Chair's Report - The Chair reported from the following Attached Report
C. Athletic Committee Report - Tim DeNoble reported from the following Attached Report
VI. Old Business
A. Code of Student Life
Motion to approve made and seconded.
Motion to refer to Committee on Committees made and seconded. Motion passed to refer to Committee on Committees.
VII. New Business
A. Consent Agenda
1. Proposed change in Board of Trustees Policy 405.4(2) (C) for graduate assistants was approved by the Graduate Council on May 15, 2008. Proposal allows for immediate termination instead of 60 days notice in some cases. See Attachment Four for additional details. Proposal was approved without opposition by the Graduate Council on August 21, 2008.
2. Proposed change in two of the graduate school's polices: "The Academic Grievance Procedures for Graduate Students," Attachment Five, and the "Grievance Policy and Procedures for Graduate Assistants," Attachment Six. An editorial update is also included in Attachment Five to change the name of the Office of Student Mediation and Conflict Resolution to the University Ombuds Office. See Attachment Five and Attachment Six for additional details. Proposal was approved without opposition by the Graduate Council on August 21, 2008.
B. Athletic Director Membership
3. The Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the dean of each college or school (including the Graduate School and Continuing Education), the dean (or director) of University libraries, and the executive athletic director of intercollegiate athletics, shall be non-voting members of the Faculty Senate. This provision does not preclude any dean or director from election as a voting representative pursuant to paragraphs 4-8 below.
Bev Lewis, Executive Athletic Director, will now be the representative of the Athletic Department to the Faculty Senate.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:26.