Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Charles Riggs , Chair
Officers: Riggs, Foley, Jones, Fort, Whayne, Rupe
Senators (elected): Allison, Brady, Comfort, Detels, Di Brezzo, Freund, Gay, Gbur, Gordon, Hardgrave, James, Jensen, Johnson, Killenbeck, King, Kral, Lieber, P. Martin, T. Martin, Mayes, Moiseichik, Parry, Riemenschneider, Jo. Turner, Wall, Wardlow
Senators (admin): Geren, Smith
Senators (elected): Hall, Rosenkrans, Tsai, Davidson, Deaton, Dennis, Cantrell, Sears, Thomas, Popp, Rupe, Schroeder, Spiegel, Wailes, Stegman, Je. Turner,Waller, Salisbury
Senators (admin): Allen, Bobbitt, Nance, Broyles, Dutton, Greenwood, Lewis, Saxena, Shannon, Weidemann, White, Worrell McMath
I. Call to Order: Charles Riggs, Chair
The Chair called the meeting to order at 3:30.
II. Roll Call
The roll was called.
III. Approval of agenda
The agenda was approved.
IV. Approval of minutes from September 13, 2006 meeting.
The September minutes were approved.
A. Provost Smith reported on the following:
Higher Education Bond Initiative - This initiative will be on the November 7th ballot. If it passes, our campus will derive from it 16 million dollars. This will help with general purpose classrooms and lab buildings.
2010 Commission and the North Central Accreditation Process - We are in the special emphasis, re-accreditation process. The only other school granted this special status is Michigan State University. The report will soon be on the web - a 40 page document with all 2010 reports. The review takes place April 16-18, 2007. Celestino Fernandez, University of Arizona, is the Higher Learning Commission team leader.
SECAC - Southeast Conference Academic Consortium. - Our university will soon be the central location for the SECAC. It will entail an office staff of 2 people. This office will organize and help coordinate the various initiatives of SECAC. This will mean that many will come to our campus to learn more about SECAC.
Inclement Weather Policy - As a result of a request from the Campus Council, a task force is currently reviewing our campus Inclement Weather Policy. Barbara Taylor is the Chair of this task force and a report is expected on October 31, 2006.
Where You Stand is Where You Sit! - This text is coming out this fall. It is an academic administrator's handbook written by our Provost, Bob Smith!
B. The Chair did not have a report.
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business - Items proposed via various emails.
A. Principles of the University: Daniel Pugh
A request was made of the Faculty Senate to approve this document. A motion to approve the principles passed and the document will now be sent to the Campus Council for its approval.
B. Consent Agenda
1. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on September 22, 2006: Table A and Table Key.
2. Graduate and dual credit course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on September 22, 2006 and the Graduate Council on September 21, 2006: Table B and Table C.
3. There are no undergraduate program changes to be considered.
4. Proposed graduate program change for the Eleanor Mann School of Nursing (Table 1, Attachments 1A and 1B) was approved by the Graduate Council on September 21, 2006.
5. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Economics (Table 1, Attachment 1C) was approved by the Graduate Council on September 21, 2006.
The consent agenda was approved.
1. In Memoriam: Nolan Arthur, Professor of Ag. Education - Given by George Wardlow
2. Senators meeting: Campus Council Representation
The meeting was adjourned at 4:17 p.m.