Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Charles Riggs , Chair
Officers: Riggs, Rupe, Fort, Whayne
Senators (elected): (AFLS) Gbut, Rosenkrans, Popp, Rupe; (ARSC) Allison, Comfort, Turner, Parry, James, King, Brady, Davidson, Martin; (EDHP) Stegman; (ENGR) Deaton, Gordon; (LAW) Killenbeck; (At-Large) Sears, Jensen, Gay, Lieber, Turner, Martin, Kral, Salisbury.
Senators (admin): Geren, Smith
Senators (elected): (ARCH) Wall; (AFLS) Wardlow, Wailes; (ARSC) CDetels, Tsai, Freund, Spiegel; (WCOB) Riemenschneider, Waller, Hardgrave; (EDHP) Mayes, DiBrezzo, Moiseichik; (ENGR) Dennis, Hall; (LIBR) Cantrell; (At-Large) Johnson, Schroeder, Thomas.
Senators (admin): White, Weidemann, Shannon, Bobbitt, Worrell, Dutton, Greenwood, Saxena, Nance, Allen, McMath, Lewis, Broyles.
I. Call to Order: Charles Riggs, Chair
The Vice Chair called the meeting to order at 3:30.
II. Roll Call
The roll was called.
III. Approval of agenda
The agenda was approved.
IV. Approval of minutes from January 17, 2006 meeting.
The January minutes were approved.
A. Provost's Report
Provost Smith reported on the following: Fall 2006 admissions and the “D” rule. See attachment distributed at the meeting. He also reported on OCDA proposals. The Provost updated the FS on the North Central Association (NCA) accreditation visit April 16-18.
B. Academic Standards
The committee was asked to respond to a request that a “+’ and “-“ grading system be introduced for the university. Currently ARCH and AFLS are using that system. The committee recommended NO ACTION, at this time. Attachment
C. Athletic Committee Report – Bruce Ahrensen, Vice ChairD. Faculty Senate Chair – C. E. Riggs
He explained the Presidential Task Force recommendations of the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics. The report was accepted.
Several updates were announced, including that the 48 hour rule on course grade reporting, review of standards for program review, implementation of faculty governance plan discussed last year, official party rules on athletics, and re-accreditation by the NCA.
E. Floor privileges were extended for a discussion of the Divestment Campaign regarding Darfur by Students Taking Action Now (STAND). Supporters were asked to direct any resolution to the FS Executive Committee for consideration at a later meeting. See Attachment.
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business - Items proposed via various emails.
A. Consent Agenda
1. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on January 26, 2007: Table A.
2. Graduate and dual credit course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 15, 2006 and the Graduate Council on January18, 2007: Table B and Table C.
3. Proposed undergraduate program changes for the College of Education and Health Professions (Tables 1 & 2, Attachment 1A and Attachment 1B) approved without opposition by the University Course and Programs Committee on January 26, 2007.
4. Proposed graduate program changes for the Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering (Tables 1 & 2, Attachment 2A) approved by the Graduate Council on January 18, 2007.
5. Proposed graduate program change for the Department of Educational Leadership, Counseling, and Foundations (Tables 1 & 2, Attachment 2B) approved by the Graduate Council on January 18, 2007.
6. Proposed graduate program change for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs – Master of Public Service (Tables 1 & 2, Attachment 2C) approved by the Graduate Council on January 18, 2007.
All items of the consent agenda were approved.
A. Floor privileges were extended for a memorial for Professor Emeritus Robert Hay – by Professor Don White
The meeting was adjourned.