Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Deborah Thomas , Chair
Officers: Thomas, Brady, Jones
Senators (elected): Allison, Cantrell, Comfort, Curington, Deaton, Di Brezzo, Elliott, Evans, Freund, Gay, Gbur, Gordon, Hall, Hanlin, James, Killenbeck, King, Kral, Martin, Mayes, Murphy, Parry, Reese, Riemenschneider, Riha, Rom, Rupe, Salisbury, Stegman, Watkins
Senators (admin): Brill, Geren, McMath, Smith, Worrell
Senators (elected): DeCoster, Dennis, Hardgrave, Miller, Popp, Rosenkrans, Tsai, Wailes, Waller
Senators (admin): Allen, Bobbitt, Broyles, Dutton, Greenwood, Lewis, Saxena, Shannon, Weidemann, White
I. Call to Order: Deborah Thomas, Chair
The meeting was called to order at 3:32 p.m.
II. Approval of agenda
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda. Motion passed.
III. Approval of minutes (April and May):
April 20, 2005 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/fsminutes42005.html
May, 2005 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/fsminutes50405.html
The minutes of the previous two meetings were approved.
A. Provost - The Provost reported on the following:
- New Deans – Howard Brill is the Interim Dean of the Law School; Bob McMath is the Dean of the Honors College; Dan Worrell is the Dean of the Walton College of Business. The Provost also recognized the passing of Richard Atkinson, Dean of the Law School, and announced that a memorial ceremony for him will take place on Monday, September 19th.
- Hurricane Katrina – The U of A is helping students as much as possible. Our campus has assisted approximately 60 students, about half are Arkansans, some are graduate students and some are law school students. Counseling services available for all who have been affected by this tragedy and a special forum is forthcoming.
- All things academic – The library is now the archival master for this on-campus periodical. Visitors to the website will be able to browse any editions in various ways.
- Integrated scholars – 10 new integrated scholars will appear in the next “All things Academic”. Thus far, the periodical has highlighted 40 academic integrated scholars.
- Razorbug – Entomologists beware, a new bug is on campus - the RAZORBUG! Dawn Medley has regenerated Admissions and has created this new rolling mascot. The goal behind this Mascotus Rollus is to develop enthusiasm for the University of Arkansas and to raise money. If an individaul donates $1,000 to the need-based scholarships program, the razorbug swings by and picks up the check!! Soooie! Half of the donated funds go into an endowment, the other half to students in need of support.
B. Faculty Senate Chair - The Chair reported on the following:
- ID's as Charge Cards - Students now can charge books to their university accounts via their Student ID's. If they sign up for the program, they can charge up to $800 per semester for their text books.
- Faculty Governance - Our Campus Faculty Governance is in need of some assistance. Chair Thomas is in the process of appointing a task force to examine our governance and its election process. Michael Miller will chair this task force. Past Chairs will serve as will the past Chairs of the Nominating and Elections committee. All senators are encouraged to share their thoughts and ideas with the Chair.
C. Report from Collis Geren and Phillip Stafford about the U of A Technology Development Foundation.
D. Academic Standards Committee (Grade Forgiveness Policy) – Dr. Mike Evans (removed from April 20, 2005 Faculty Senate Meeting Agenda)
Current policy on page 40 of the 2004-2005 catalog states “…in which a grade of D or F was received…”
Email Michael Evans for a copy of his report
The Academic Standards Commiee does not support resolution 7 and recommends that the grade forgiveness policy not be amended to allow grades above a D to be eligible for grade forgiveness.
V. Old Business
A. Tabled--Attendance Policy revision - Joel Freund http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attendance42005.pdf
– motion made to accept the proposal as presented in the pdf from April and also included in this agenda. Discussion took place… Motion failed.
VI. New Business
A. Elections of Senate Representatives to the Campus Council (election of Executive Committee members will be held at the next Senate meeting on Wednesday, October 19)
The following were elected to the Campus Council:
Charles Rosenkrans, Michael Evans, Neil Allison, Janine Parry, John King, Todd Hanlin, Joel Freund, Susan Mayes, Ro Di Brezzo, Cheryl Murphy, Norm Dennis, Andrea Cantrell, Timothy Kral, William Curington, Luti Salisbury, Curt Rom
B. Consent Agenda
1. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 26, 2005: Table A.
Table A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/tablea091405.pdf
2. Proposed program change, Department of Journalism, Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences: Table 1 (Attachment 1A). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 26, 2005.
Tables 1-4: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/tables1to491405.pdf
Attach 1A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1a91405.pdf
3. Proposed new undergraduate minor in Crop Biotechnology, Department of Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences, Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences: Table 2 (Attachments 2A, 2B). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 26, 2005.
Tables 1-4, See Above
Attach 2A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach2a91405.pdf
Attach 2B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach2b91405.pdf
4. Proposed program changes for the College of Education and Health Professions: Table 3 (Attachments 3A-3L). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on August 26, 2005.
Tables 1-4, See Above
Attach 3A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3a91405.pdf
Attach 3B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3b91405.pdf
Attach 3C: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3c91405.pdf
Attach 3D: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3d91405.pdf
Attach 3E: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3e91405.pdf
Attach 3F: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3f91405.pdf
Attach 3G: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3g91405.pdf
Attach 3H: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3h91405.pdf
Attach 3I: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3i91405.pdf
Attach 3J: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3j91405.pdf
Attach 3K: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3k91405.pdf
Attach 3L: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3l91405.pdf
5. Proposed changes in graduate programs: Table 4 (Attachments 4A-4E). Approved by the Graduate Council on May 26 and August 18, 2005.
Tables 1-4, See Above
Attach 4A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach4a91405.pdf
Attach 4B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach4b91405.pdf
Attach 4C: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach4c91405.pdf
Attach 4D: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach4d91405.pdf
Attach 4E: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach4e91405.pdf
6. Proposed policy change for incorporating the new internet-based TOEFL test into our admissions requirements (Attachment 5).
Attach 5: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach591405.pdf
Attachments 1a and 4a were removed from the consent agenda for further discussion. All other consent agenda items were approved. After discussion, Attachments 1a and 4a were also approved.
1. Resolution for Professor Charles Oxford - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen2005to2006/oxford.doc
Curt Rom presented a resolution in honor of Charles W. Oxford. The motion to accept passed.
2. Resolution for Dean Richard Atkinson - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen2005to2006/atkinson.pdf
Mark Killenbeck presented a resolution in honor of Richard Atkinson. The motion to accept passed.
3. Fall Campus Council is scheduled to take place October 19th. The deadline for agenda items is October 12th.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:55 p.m.