Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Deborah Thomas , Chair
Officers: Thomas, Brady, Jones, Fort
Senators (elected): Allison, Cantrell, Comfort, Deaton, Dennis, Di Brezzo, Evans, Gay, Gbur, Gordon, Hanlin, Hardgrave, James, Jensen, Killenbeck, King, Kral, Lieber, Martin, Mayes, Popp, Reese, Riemenschneider, Rom, Rosenkrans, Salisbury, Sears, Stegman, Watkins, Williams
Senators (admin): Geren, McMath, Smith, White
Senators (elected): Curington, DeCoster, Freund, Hall, Johnson, Miller, Murphy, Parry, Riha, Rupe, Schroeder, Tsai, Wailes, Waller
Senators (admin): Allen, Bobbitt, Brill, Broyles, Dutton, Greenwood, Lewis, Saxena, Shannon, Weidemann, Worrell
I. Call to Order: Deborah Thomas, Chair
The Chair called the meeting to order at 3:33.
II. Approval of agenda
Changes were made to the agenda: A discussion of the honorary degrees was moved to the top of the agenda and Vice Chancellor Richard Hudson was given time to present a report. The amended agenda was approved.
III. Honorary Degrees
The Faculty Senate moved into Executive Session to discuss honorary degrees.
IV. Approval of minutes (October):
October 19 , 2005 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/fsminutes101905.htm
A request was made to amend the Marketing and Logistics proposal to state BA and BS degrees. The amended minutes of October 19, 2005 were approved.
The Provost reported on the following:
- Law School Dean Search - Don Judges is Chair of the search committee.
- Guaranteed 8 semester degree completion program to begin in Fall 2006. Nancy Talburt is working with Associate Deans on this project.
- SECAC Update - Our university continues to play a vital role in this consortium, in particular where it concerns study abroad. The Provost and others are working towards identifying a campus on which to base the the SECAC office.
- Provost Diversity Retreat - The university continues to work on diversity issues on campus.
- Continuing Education Planning and Reorganization - A recommendation has been made to create a School of Continuing Education and Outreach (SCEO). Such a School would be headed by a Dean and an Associate Provost for Academic Outreach. The proposal deemphasizes non-degree and non-certificate programs and reemphasizes support for web-based and distance education programs. It also proposes to phase out the high school correspondance program and to establish an on-campus office.
B. Faculty Senate Chair
The Faculty Senate Chair ceded her time to Vice Chancellor Hudson who announced that there will be a special election on December 13th regarding Higher Education Bonds. Through this voting process, it is hoped to extend the period of time bonds are available to support Higher Education.
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business
B. Consent Agenda
1. Undergraduate and Law course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on October 28, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval (Tables A and B):
Table A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/tablea111605.pdf
Table B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/tableb111605.pdf
2. Proposed undergraduate program changes for the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences (Table 1, Attachments 1A-1G). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on October 28, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval:
Tables 1 and 2 http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/tables1and2111605.pdf
1A - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1a111605.pdf
1B - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1b111605.pdf
1C - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1c111605.pdf
1D - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1d111605.pdf
1E - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1e111605.pdf
1F - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1f111605.pdf
1G - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach1g111605.pdf
3. Proposed undergraduate program changes for the College of Education and Health Professions (Table 2, Attachments 2A-2D). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on October 28, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval:
2A - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach2a111605.pdf
2B - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach2b111605.pdf
2C - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach2c111605.pdf
2D - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach2d111605.doc
4. Proposed changes to the English proficiency requirement for undergraduate students who are non-native English speakers (Attachment 3). Proposed by the University English as a Second Language Committee.
3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/attach3111605.pdf
The consent agenda was approved.
Campus Faculty, Fall Meeting, Tuesday, December 6, 3:30 p.m., Giffels Auditorium
Faculty Holiday Reception, Thursday, December 8, 6-8 p.m., Fayetteville Town Center
The meeting was adjourned at 4:48 p.m.