Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Deborah Thomas , Chair
Officers: Thomas, Brady, Jones, Fort
Senators (elected): Allison, Cantrell, Comfort, Curington, Deaton, DeCoster, Freund, Gay, Gbur, Gordon, Hanlin, Hardgrave, James, Jensen, Johnson, King, Kral, Lieber, Martin, Mayes, Murphy, Popp, Riemenschneider, Riha, Rupe, Schroeder, Stegman, Wailes, Watkins, Waller
Senators (admin): Geren, Smith
Senators (elected): Dennis, Di Brezzo, Evans, Hall, Killenbeck, Miller, Parry, Reese, Rom, Rosenkrans, Salisbury, Sears, Tsai, Williams
Senators (admin): Allen, Bobbitt, Brill, Broyles, Dutton, Greenwood, Lewis, McMath, Saxena, Shannon, Weidemann, White, Worrell
I. Call to Order: Deborah Thomas, Chair
The Chair called the meeting to order at 3:34.
II. Approval of agenda
Changes were made to the agenda: A discussion of honorary degrees was added to the agenda and the Provost's report was also postponed until later in the meeting. The amended agenda was approved.
III. Approval of minutes from November 16, 2005 meeting and ratify actions from December Consent Agenda conducted by E-mail.
November 16, 2005 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/fsminutes111605.htm
December 2005 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/minutesdec2005.html
The minutes were approved and ratified as presented.
A. Provost: Bob Smith - The Provost reported on the following:
- Cordes TFSC – The Teaching and Faculty Support Center is now located on the seventh floor of the Harmon Parking Facility. This office has existed for a number of years and currently is under the co-direction of Inza Fort, David Longer, and Neil Allison. This Center provides campus teachers with newsletters, discussion lunches, camp, resources, idea banks, and TA seminars among other things.
- OCDA Review and Approvals – All 27 OCDAs were approved by the Provost this year and have been forwarded to the Board of Trustees for approval in April.
- Textbook Adoption Policy – Authors of textbooks required for their courses must account for any benefits received. A donation of the royalties to the U of A for the benefit of students is the preferred action.
- Things to Come – In February, the Provost will report on Admissions Data, D Rule Analysis, and Tenure & Promotion Reviews.
B. Faculty Senate Chair - The FS Chair reported that the bookstore's policy to allow monetary credit to students on their ID cards is no longer offered to U of A students.
C. Task Force on Faculty Governance: Mark Boyer - The Task Force was charged with investigating faculty governance at the U of A and at other institutions across the country. The entire report is available below.
D. Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics: Tom Jensen - The COIA was formed in 2002 and we became involved in this coalition in 2004. The Chair of the Faculty Senate assigns a representative to the COIA. 52 current member institutions. 9 members from the SEC. Documents presented in the past include a Framework for Intercollegiate Athletics and Academic Integrity in Intercollegiate Athletics. The NCAA has requested that the COIA write reports to address issues including the following:
- the integration of athletics into the life of campus;
- admissions and diversity;
- purpose and nature of the collegiate model;
- conference and national competition;
- presidential leadership;
- fiscal responsibility and
V. Old Business
A. Removed from December 7, 2005 Consent Agenda by request from Senator: Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences (Table 1, Attachment 1E).
FHNHBS – Food, Human Nutrition & Hospitality. Add CHEM 1074/1071L as an option for CHEM 1103/CHEM 1101L and CHEM 1123/1121L. Change other course requirements as specified in the attachment.
Table 1: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/1to3120705.pdf
Attach 1E: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/1e120705.pdf
B. Removed from December 7, 2005 Consent Agenda by request from Senator: Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences (Table 1, Attachment 1F).
FHNHBS – Food, Human Nutrition & Hospitality. The HRMN program is being expanded from Hotel/Lodging and Restaurant Management to Hotel/Lodging, Restaurant Management and Tourism Management courses.
Attach 1F: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/1f120705.pdf
VI. New Business
A. Recommendations from Task Force on Faculty Governance: Mark Boyer
Recommendations for policy changes from the Task Force on Faculty Governance were presented to the Faculty Senate by Mark Boyer. Further discussion and a potential vote to occur at the next meeting.
B. Recommendation from the Committee on Committees: David Gay
In principle, we support an environmental practices review at the University of Arkansas. The Faculty Senate recommends that the administration create a task force to investigate and address issues relating to cost-reducing environmental practices, issues relating to operational and building practices, and to examine practices at peer institutions. Furthermore, we urge that this task force present its report and recommendations to the administration and to campus governance groups as soon as practicable, preferably before the end of the fiscal year.
Motion to create a task force passed.
C. Consent Agenda
1. Undergraduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 16, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table A.
Key for Tables A-C: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Keyjan06.pdf
Table A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/TableAjan06.pdf
2a. Graduate course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on November 18, 2005, and the Graduate Council by e-mail. Recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table B.
Table B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/TableBjan06.pdf
2b. Dual Credit course change proposals approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on November 18, 2005, and the Graduate Council by e-mail. Recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table C.
Table C: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/TableCjan06.pdf
3. Proposed undergraduate program change for the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences. Change was approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 16, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table 1, Attachment 1A.
Tables 1 and 2: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Tables1and2jan06.pdf
Attachment 1A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach1Ajan06.pdf
4. Proposed undergraduate program changes for the Walton College of Business. Changes were approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 16, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table 2, Attachments 2A-2E.
See Table 2 above
Attachment 2A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach2Ajan06.pdf
Attachment 2B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach2Bjan06.pdf
Attachment 2C: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach2Cjan06.pdf
Attachment 2D: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach2Djan06.pdf
Attachment 2E: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach2Ejan06.pdf
5. Proposed undergraduate program changes for the College of Education and Health Professions. Changes were approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 16, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table 3, Attachments 3A-3H.
Tables 3 and 4: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Tables3and4jan06.pdf
Attachment 3A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Ajan06.pdf
Attachment 3B: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Bjan06.pdf
Attachment 3C: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Cjan06.pdf
Attachment 3D: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Djan06.pdf
Attachment 3E: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Ejan06.pdf
Attachment 3F: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Fjan06.pdf
Attachment 3G: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Gjan06.pdf
Attachment 3H: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach3Hjan06.pdf
6. Proposed undergraduate program change for the College of Engineering. Change was approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on December 16, 2005 and recommended to the Faculty Senate for approval: Table 4, Attachment 4A.
See Table 4 above
Attachment 4A: http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2005to2006/Attach4Ajan06.pdf
Attachment 3B under Item 5 removed from the Consent Agenda.
Amended consent agenda approved.
Attachment 3B approved.
D. New Business Introduced at the meeting.
Professor Freund made a motion to address the problem of adding or changing programs without written confirmation from an affected unit or department.
This item was tabled until the next meeting.
On February 15th, David Callahan, author of "The Cheating Culture", will give a public lecture in the afternoon. Coffee at the TFSC will take place the same morning. All are invited to attend.
John King memorialized Debbie Hall, Clinical Associate Professor, who served for 16 years at the U of A. A memorial service will take place on Friday, January 27th, Friday, in Giffels Auditorium.
Report from the Honorary Degree Committee – The Faculty Senate moved into Executive Session.
The Faculty Senate ended its Executive Session and the meeting was adjourned at 4:53 p.m.