Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
March 10, 2004, 3:30 p.m.
Curt Rom, Chair
Linda Jones, Secretary
Minutes Status: Approved
Officers: Jensen, Jones, Riggs, Rogers, Rom, Salisbury
Senators (elected): Allison, Brady, Cantrell, Comfort, Curington, Dennis, Denny, Elliott, Farley, Freund, Gay, Hall, Hanlin, Hughes, James, Killenbeck, Kopp, Kral, MacRae, McGee, Murphy, Nutter, Popp, Riggs, Ryan, Sears, Wailes, Wall, Waller, Warnock, Watkins
Senators (admin): Allen, Geren, Smith, Weidemann
Senators (elected): Cornell, Deaton, Haydar, King, Lawson, Matlock, Riha, Rosenkrans, Rupe, Springer, Striffler, Webb, Wilson, Zajicek
Senators (admin): Atkinson, Bobbitt, Dutton, Greenwood, Saxena, Shannon, White, Williams
I. Call to Order: Curt Rom, Faculty Senate Chair
Curt Rom called the meeting to order at 3:33.
II. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was accepted by unanimous consent.
III. Approval of Minutes: February 18, 2004
The minutes of February 18, 2004 were approved.
A. Faculty Senate Chair
The Chair reported on the following items:
1. A posthumous degree proposal is under development by the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate.
2. The Chair of the Committee on Committees has been appointed. Susan Mayes is the Chair designate and will take over July 1, 2004.
3. Nominations are due for faculty leadership positions. Please get your nominations in as soon as possible.
4. COIA – New document developed that proposes best practices for faculty governance of intercollegiate athletics on campus.
5. The last scheduled meeting of the Faculty Senate is set for the last week of April, the 28th. This gives the Senate more time to complete all of the business of the semester.
The Provost reported on the following:
1. Making the Most of College Task Force – This project began with a leadership retreat in 2003. The Task force is looking into the good things we are doing on campus so as to determine what else can be done to enhance the academic experience of our college students. Nancy Talburt helped to get this initiative underway. 6 faculty, 6 staff and 6 students make up the task force. A report is due in May.
2. Richard Light visit - In this visit, Dr. Light pointed out that writing is the most valued element that students have in their college experience. Students who are less satisfied are those who complete all of the required courses first. Those who are more satisfied are those who find ways of incorporating exciting elective material early on in their careers. Light's book on this topic "Making the Most of College: Students speak their Mind" is available in the library. Videos of his talk will be available in the Dean’s office of every college, school and the library.
3. Federal Initiatives Update – Funding is coming in for several large projects on campus. Let Dean Geren and the Provost know of your ideas.
4. Honors College Dean Search – Some individuals have been interviewed but the search for a Dean continues. Professor Brinkmeyer will continue to be Chair. Please send your comments or suggestions about potential candidates to Bob Smith.
C. Report from the Financial Advisory Committee
As was requested by Faculty Senate, the Financial Advisory Committee met this week to discuss the "Faculty Salary Funding Incentive Plan" Draft #9. Because the
Graduate[Research] Council was also studying this document to make a recommendation, they were invited to a joint committee meeting.
Members of both committees recognized the motivation to identify new resource streams for the university, and discussed the likely impact of this proposal on UAF campus faculty. The committee was concerned that the plan seems to cap potential faculty benefit while the University's inflow continues to go up. The committee concluded that this "incentive" plan would apply only to a very small number of faculty who would qualify for extramural funding that could be used for salary (other than summer salary). Thus, this plan will likely have a minor effect as an incentive.
This committee met and gave no recommendation.
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
A. Matters from University Course and Programs Committee and the Graduate Council
1. Course change proposals:
a. Undergraduate (Tables A): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/27/04.
Table A - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tablea031004.pdf
b. Law (Table B): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/27/04.
Table B - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tableb031004.pdf
c. Graduate (Table C): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 1/23/04 and by the Graduate Council on 2/19/04.
Table C - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tablec031004.pdf
2. Program change proposals in the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life
Sciences: Table D (Attachments D1-D3). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/27/04.
Table D - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tabled031004.pdf
Attachment D1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachD1031004.pdf
Attachment D2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachD2031004.pdf
Attachment D3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachD3031004.pdf
3. Proposed program change in the Walton College of Business: Table E (Attachment E1). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/27/04.
Table E - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tablee031004.pdf
Attachment E1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachE1031004.pdf
4. Proposed program change in the College of Education and Health Professions: Table F (Attachments F1, F2). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/27/04.
Table F - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tablef031004.pdf
Attachment F1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachF1031004.pdf
Attachment F2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachF2031004.pdf
5. Program change proposals for graduate programs: Table G (Attachments G1-G7). Approved by the Graduate Council on 2/19/04.
Table G - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/tableg031004.pdf
Attachment G1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG1031004.pdf
Attachment G2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG2031004.pdf
Attachment G3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG3031004.pdf
Attachment G4 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG4031004.pdf
Attachment G5 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG5031004.pdf
Attachment G6 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG6031004.pdf
Attachment G7 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachG7031004.pdf
The consent agenda was accepted by unanimous consent.
B. Policy Change: Proposed Academic Honesty Policy for Graduate Students (Attachment H). Approved by the Graduate Council on 1/22/04 (Pat Koski).
Attachment H - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/AttachH031004.pdf
A suggestion was made to develop a post-graduation policy concerning delayed findings. This is not covered by the currently proposed policy. Otherwise, the policy was approved.
1. Resolution recognizing Janice Rushing - presented by Bob Brady, Chair. Dept. of Communication
2. A memorial services for Dr. Rushing will take place March 26 at 5:00 in Giffels Auditorium.
3. The next Campus Faculty meeting will take place April 14 at 3:30 in the Reynolds Center.
4. Curt recognized Linda Jones, Jimmie Rogers and Luti Salisbury for their service to the Faculty Senate.
Meeting adjourned at 4:28.