April 28, 2004
I. Call to Order: Curt Rom, Chair
II. Approval of Agenda
III. Approval of Minutes: March 10, 2004
2) Report from Teaching Council on the Textbook Adoption Policy (Linda Jones)
3) Report on the Task Force for Enhanced Student Government and their Activities (Johnetta Brazzell).
4) Report from Nominating & Elections Coordinating Committee (Scott Mason)
V. New Business
1) Report from Calendar Committee (Joel Freund)
At its last meeting on April 1, 2004, the Calendar Committee voted to recommend that for the 2004-2005 calendar year, we move Spring Break from the week of March 14-18 to the week of March 21-25, so as to coincide with the spring break for all the public schools in the area. Because the public school calendar for the years following 2005 is not yet determined, the committee decided not to make any recommendations regarding changing spring break in subsequent years. The committee also recommends adoption of the calendar for the years 2010-2011. A copy of that calendar is attached.
2) Report from Academic Standards Committee (Russell Rudzinski)
3) Proposal to create Honorary, Posthumous Degrees (Curt Rom)
4) Proposed revision of the Policy on Animal Care and Use
5) Guidelines for University and Distinguished Professor Appointments (Marcia B. Imbeau)
6) Consent Agenda - Matters from University Course and Programs Committee and the Graduate Council
A. Course change proposals:
1. Undergraduate (Table A): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/26/04.
2. Law (Table B): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/26/04.
3. Graduate (Table C): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/26/04 and by the Graduate Council on 4/15/04.
4. Dual (Table D): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/26/04 and by the Graduate Council on 4/15/04.
B. Program Change Proposals
Summary Table for the Program Changes
1. Proposed program changes in the School of Architecture: Table E (Attachment E1). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/26/04.
2. Proposed program changes in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences: Table F (Attachments F1-F6).
Attachment F 1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachf142804.pdf
Attachment F 2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachf242804.pdf
Attachment F 3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachf342804.pdf
Attachment F 4 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachf442804.pdf
Attachment F 5 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachf542804.pdf
Attachment F 6 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachf642804.pdf
3. Proposed program changes in the College of Education and Health Professions: Table G (Attachments G1-G4). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/26/04.
Attachment G 1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachg142804.pdf
Attachment G 2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachg242804.pdf
Attachment G 3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachg342804.pdf
Attachment G 4 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachg442804.pdf
4. Program change proposals for graduate programs: Table H (Attachments H1-H5). Approved by the Graduate Council on 4/15/04.
Attachment H 1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachh142804.pdf
Attachment H 2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachh242804.pdf
Attachment H 3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachh342804.pdf
Attachment H 4 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachh442804.pdf
Attachment H 5 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachh542804.pdf
7) New Program Proposal: Ph.D. in Educational Foundations (Attachments I1, I2). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 10/24/03 and the Graduate Council on 3/25/04.
Attachment I 1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachi142804.pdf
Attachment I 2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachi242804.doc
8) Policy Change: Proposed Honor Code for Graduate Students (Attachment J). Approved by the Graduate Council on 3/25/04.
Attachment J - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachj42804.pdf
9) Policy Change: Proposal to require that master’s theses be submitted to UMI, beginning 2005-06. (Attachment K). Approved by the Graduate Council on 3/25/04.
Attachment K - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachk42804.pdf
10) Policy Change: Proposal to adopt the undergraduate travel policy for graduate students not on assistantships/fellowships who travel on University business. Approved by the Graduate Council on 2/19/04. See undergraduate policy at
11) Proposal to charge a $10 student fee for administration of the English Language Placement Test. (Attachment L). Approved by the Graduate Council on 4/15/04.
Attachment L - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2003to2004/attachl42804.pdf
1) 2004-2005 Faculty Senate Meetings Schedule
2) Recognition for Service
3) Appointment of 2004-2005 Faculty Senate Secretary and Parliamentarian
4) Resolution for Appointment
5) Resolution for Retirement
6) Academic Convocation, 2004: 4:00pm, Sunday, August 22, 2004. Faculty are invited to participate in the regalia processional, the academic convocation, and the Welcome Burger Bash following the Convocation. It is strongly encouraged that one representative from each academic unit be present in the faculty processional. For additional information and to confirm participation, please contact: Donna Simon, FYE, ARKU A688, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, fax 575-2200.