January 21, 2004
I. Call to Order: Curt Rom, Faculty Senate Chair
II. Approval of Agenda
III. Approval of Minutes: November 19, 2003
A. Faculty Senate Chair's Report - Letter from President Sugg
C. Computing Services on SPAM mail (David Merrifield)
D. Institutional Biosafety Committee Report on the Policy and Procedures document and the Biological Safety Manual (Roy Penney) - The current versions of these two documents are available on the UofA Research Support and Sponsored Programs Compliance page at http://www.uark.edu/admin/rsspinfo/compliance/biosafety/index.html.
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
A. Consent Agenda
Matters from University Course and Programs Committee and the Graduate Council
1. Course change proposals:
a. Undergraduate (Tables A, B): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 11/21/03 and 12/19/03.
b. Graduate (Tables C, D): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 10/24/03 and 11/21/03, and by the Graduate Council on 11/20/03 and 12/11/03.
c. Dual (Tables E, F): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 10/24/03 and 11/21/03, and by the Graduate Council on 11/20/03 and 12/11/03.
2. Program change proposals in the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences: Table G (Attachment G1).
Table G (Summary)
3. Program change proposals in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences: Table H (Attachments H1-H17).
Table H (Summary)
4. Program change proposals in the Walton College of Business: Table I (Attachments I1-I10).
Table I (Summary)
5. Program change proposal in the College of Education and Health Professions, Table J (Attachment J1).
Table J (Summary)
6. Program change proposals in the College of Engineering: Table K (Attachments K1-K6).
Table K (Summary)
7. New program proposals: Table L (Attachments L1-L16).
Table L (Summary)
(a) Walton College of Business
(1) Department of Accounting - Create a minor in Accounting for business students (ACCT-M, Attachments L1,L2)
(2) Department of Finance - Create a minor in Finance for business students (FINN-M, Attachments L3,L4)
(3) Department of Information Systems - Create a minor in Information Systems for business students (ISYS-M - Attachments L5,L6)
(4) Department of Marketing and Logistics - Create a minor in Marketing for business students (MKKT-M, Attachments L7,L8)
(5) Create a minor in Transportation/Logistics for business students. (TLOG-M, Attachments L9,L10)
(6) Interdisciplinary Programs - Create a minor in Enterprise Resource Planning for business students (BS-M, Enterprise Resource Planning - Attachments L11,L12)
(7) Create a minor in Financial Economics for business students (BS - M - Attachments L13,L14)
(b) College of Education and Health Professions Eleanor Mann School of Nursing
Create a new degree: Master of Science in Nursing (Attachments L15, L16)
8. Program deletion: College of Education and Health Professions
Eliminate the M.Ed. Degree in Physical Education (Table M (Attachment M1)).
Table M (Summary)
B. Faculty Athletic Committee Resolution to support the "Framework for Comprehensive Athletics Reform" as proposed by the Coalition of Intercollegiate Athletics. (Alan Mantooth)
"The Faculty Athletic Committee recommends to the Faculty Senate that the University of Arkansas participate in ongoing discussions and deliberations regarding the "Framework for Comprehensive Athletics Reform" from the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA). The FAC wants to be very clear that we do NOT necessarily recommend or agree with each item or goal stipulated within the framework itself. However, due to the fact that this body is engaged with the NCAA and the faculty governance bodies of the BCS schools, we feel it is important that the University of Arkansas be an active participant in shaping the outcome of these reforms."
For further information, visit the COIA homepage - http://www.math.umd.edu/~jmc/COIA/COIA-Home.html.
(1) Resolution recognizing John Harrison (Janet Parsch)
(2) Resolution recognizing Brian Wilke (Suzanne MacRae)