Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting
March 12, 2003, 3:30 p.m.
Engineering Hall, Room 209
Dennis Brewer, Chair
Linda Jones, Secretary
Minutes Status: Approved
Officers: Brewer, Jensen, Jones, Rogers
Senators (elected): Allison, Curington, Dennis, Denny, Etges, Fort, Freund, Gay, Hall, Holyfield, Johnson, Kral, Lieber, MacRae, Martin, Murphy, Nutter, Park, Rosenkrans, Rupe, Ryan, Salisbury, Schroeder, Watkins
Senators (admin): Allen, Geren, Smith, Weidemann, Williams
Senators (elected): Amason, Brady, Chappell, Hanlin, Killenbeck, King, Lee, Miller, Riggs, Riha, Rom, Schmitt, Springer, Striffler, M. Taylor, P. Taylor, Wailes, Wall, Wardlow, Warnock, Wilson
Senators (admin): Bobbitt, Dutton, Greenwood, Moberly, Schmitt, Shannon, White,
I. Call to Order: Dennis Brewer, Chair
Dennis Brewer called the meeting to order at 3:31.
II. Approval of Agenda
Without objection the agenda was approved.
III. Approval of Minutes: February 19, 2003
Without objection the Minutes of 02/19/03 were approved.
A. Provost Report
Provost Smith presented a report on the following themes:
V. Old Business
There was no old business.
VI. New Business
A. Consent Agenda
1. Course change proposals (Attachment A):
a. Graduate: Approved by the Graduate Council on 2/20/03 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachA1.fs031203.pdf
b. Dual: Approved by the Graduate Council on 2/20/03 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachA2.fs031203.pdf
c. Undergraduate: Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/28/03 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachA3.fs031203.pdf
2. Program Change Proposals
a. Approved by the Graduate Council on 2/20/03
1. Proposal to change admission requirements for the M.Ed. program in Recreation: Increase the grade point average requirement to 3.00 (Attachment B) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/attachBupdate.pdf
2. Proposals for four new graduate certificate programs in the Department of Educational Leadership, Counseling and Foundations (Attachments C-F)
- Attachment C1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachC1fs031203EDST.pdf
- Attachment C2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachC2fs031203EDST.pdf
- Attachment D1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachD1fs031203EDEV.pdf
- Attachment D2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachD2fs031203EDEV.pdf
- Attachment E1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/attachE1update.pdf
- Attachment E2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachE2fs031203DPOG.pdf
- Attachment F1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachF1fs031203EDME.pdf
- Attachment F2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachF2fs031203EDME.pdf
3. Grievance policy for graduate assistants in the Graduate School of Business (Attachment G) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachGfs031203doc.pdf
4. Proposed changes in requirements for determining English language proficiency for international students (brought forward by the University EASL Committee) (Attachments H-P)
- Attachment H - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachHfs031203doc.pdf
- Attachment I - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachIfs031203.pdf
- Attachment J - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachJfs031203doc.pdf
- Attachment K - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachKfs031203doc.pdf
- Attachment L - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachLfs031203doc.pdf
- Attachment M - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachMfs031203doc.pdf
- Attachment N - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachNfs031203doc.pdf
- Attachment O - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachOfs031203.pdf
- Attachment P - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachPfs031203.pdf
b. Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 2/28/03
1. Proposed curriculum changes for the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (Attachment Q) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/attachQupdate.pdf
2. Proposal to eliminate the B.S. degree in Pest Management (Attachment R) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachRfs031203PestM.pdf
3. Proposed changes to the minor in Pest Management: Correct total hours to accurately reflect the courses required (Attachment S) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/attachSupdate.pdf
4. Proposed name change for the Food Science and Industry Concentration in the B.S. degree in Food Science to Food Technology (Attachment T) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/AttachTfs031203FoodSci.pdf
5. Proposal for new area of emphasis in Landscape Studies under the B.S. in Architectural Studies, School of Architecture (Attachment U) - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2002to2003/attachUupdate.pdf
All items on the Consent Agenda were adopted without objection
B. Parking Fees Resolution
Whereas, the state budget outlook has dimmed hopes for meaningful salary increases for faculty and staff of the University of Arkansas.
Whereas, proposals are now being circulated which, if adopted, would increase some faculty and staff parking fees by substantial amounts.
Be it resolved by the Faculty Senate of the University of Arkansas that any percentage increase in parking fees should not exceed anticipated percentage increases in salaries for faculty and staff.
This resolution, moved and seconded by the Executive Committee, was brought before the Faculty Senate. Gary Smith, Director of Parking and Transit, was given the floor to speak to parking fee decisions passed by the Parking and Transit Committee. The following represent a 5% increase for the upcoming year over what is charged now:
Permit Type Current Fee per Year New Fee per Year 24 hour Reserve $511 $540 All Reserve $459 $485 Blue Faculty/Staff Reserve $337 $355 Yellow Faculty/Staff Reserve ($30,000+ salary) $89 $95 Yellow Faculty/Staff Reserve ($30,000- salary) $69 $75 Garage $393 $415
The motion was withdrawn without objection.
C. Code of Student Life Revisions - All University Judiciary Committee
A motion was made and seconded to adopt the Code of Student Life as distributed. During the discussion phase a subsidiary motion was made and seconded to amend the Section H of the Code of Student Life as follows:
The motion to amend passed.
After further discussion, the main motion passed as amended.
Dennis Brewer announced that we are in need of nominees for Chair of the Faculty. Please consider serving.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:24.